Thursday, May 3, 2012

Symphony #1 - Composition Day 4

Hello Everyone!

I have almost completed the outline yet still getting very distracted with filling in certain parts but this is to be expected when creating an outline.  Since I brought up distraction, I would like to talk a little about this when it comes to composition because tonight I have been battling this issue.

When I compose, I try to find a quiet place either in a coffee shop, cafe, or at home.  Tonight I chose to go to a cafe and after 30 minutes of working on Symphony #1 I started to hear the overhead music that was playing.  Once I noticed this, I began to become quite frustrated with the fact that I could not hear the next part of the symphony in my head.  To most people this seems very minimal as far as disturbance goes, but when it comes to composition (and I would assume to a writer), music/lyrical music is the most distracting thing a composer can have in the background.  Now occasionally it can be a rewarding distraction.  Take for instance a writer who has writer's block.  Sometimes listening to other artists' work is the best solution to solving your writer's block.  I frequently use this technique, sometimes even revisiting past compositions of my own.

Tonight was a different story and after moving to another location it became really apparent on how much the scenery can change the outcome of whatever it is you are working on.

What conditions do you prefer to work in?  Do you find that there are certain areas that are more and less supporting for your projects?

-Wes

No comments:

Post a Comment