Sunday, May 6, 2012

Symphony #1 Release

Hello Everyone!  I apologize for not holding up my end of composing a blog for every day of composition, however I thought it would add a little suspense for the release of Symphony #1.

This has been such a challenge.  I have never composed a piece with dynamics for this many instruments, of this length, and in this short of time.  I have learned a lot about composition and about myself with this project.  One major thing that I have learned is that a piece cannot be given time constraints.  Yes, it can be altered to meet certain requirements, but in the long run your piece will be as lengthy as you feel it should be.  The song really does speak to the composer.  With this being said, I am going to try my hardest to meet the 5-10 minute time that I set, but if I feel that everything is accomplished then the piece may end up being only 2 minutes long.

Another very important thing that I have learned about my style of composing is that it is a challenge for me to compose an outline and then fill in the instruments once the outline is created.  I tried this style and had to scrap a lot of the outline once I started filling in the instruments.  Eventually I would like to break this habit so that I can have another form of composing.

Anyways, enough of my babbling.  I present to you "Symphony #1".  I hope you enjoy this piece as much as I do and please feel free to comment and critique this piece.  I am open to constructive criticism because I would love to improve in any way that I can.  Also, if anyone is interested in taking a closer look at this piece, feel free to email me at mccombsignature@gmail.com and I can provide a score.

Thank you,

-Wes


No comments:

Post a Comment